Sunday, December 27, 2009

A Ghost From The Past


Ha ha ha! Got your attention didn't I? No, this is not a theological argument about the existence of ghost or ghouls. Just something that happened on the 26th Dec practice that brought back a yuck-ie feeling. And maybe my corniest article yet .... Oops.... now you've reALLY got to beAR wiTH ME :)

Some common things that happened to me before Team L:

MY GHOST!
Soundman are either not on time or never turn up. That puts stress on me as the worship leader as I've to climb up the balcony to switch on the system. Then realise I have to climb down to the stage to switch on the amplifiers and then back up to the balcony to get sound from the mixer. By this time I'm already sweating and not in the mood to lead a practice. Sometimes I can't find the wireless microphone or some silly things like the batteries. To add salt to the wound, some singers or musicians will turn up late and I'll have to exercise up and down the balcony. If only they all lined up at the entrance and enter at the same time!

MY GHOULS.COM
Projectionist who do not turn up because they have a 'dinner' on practice day. Always happens to me. I wonder why? Am I not handsome enough? He he Anyway, the entire night's practice will be in syllables of ah, ooo, ta da. Try that sometime. It's quite cool..... listen to Amazing Grace in ta da, da da ta da, ta da, ta da....... Ah yes, not to mention showing wrong verses or delayed 'telecast' of lyrics on sunday. What a distraction for the congregation and a disgrace to the worship leader. Yucks!

Vampires
Because of all these 'technical' and 'people' problems, the backup singers start getting engrossed with small talk. Okay, that's an understatement. Anyway, here they are talking when instructions are being given. They are oblivious to the songlist, key and tempo changes, etc. When it is time to sing, they wait for the worship leader. After all they were the backup not the main.

Serious Burden
To me it is an awesome responsibility to stand before GOD, much less leading God's people in worship. It is not sunday karoake. It is the worship of Almighty God who sent His only son, so to say His Best, to save us from damnation. How can we render any less in our worship? That is the weight on a worship leader. That is how serious the music ministry is. For me, it affects me badly when I have to hold the boat together.

Back to the Dec 26th practice. I was informed earlier our Team L soundman would not be there and there would not be replacement. Our regular projectionist wasn't around and the one replacing already confirmed a dinner weeks before. I do not know how it turned out on sunday but it was stressful in the practice and on sunday. It was Yuck and double yuck!

I don't hear the other worship leaders complaining so maybe I am the only one with issues. However, one thing can be gleaned from this yuck-ie situation. That is this: The band, singers, projectionist, soundman and all work as a team. One cannot do without the other. If one section doesn't function well, the entire sunday may go down the drain. We are all in the same boat whether our responsibilities are big or small. Everyone is needed to be at their station and to be performing their best unto the glory of God. Imagine if your soccer team's goalkeeper had to take off early because of an engagement. Yuck-ie!

Psst......pssstt.... I just heard they are coming out with an evaluation form that will document everyone's performance in the Creative Department. Looks like all these yuck-ie situations are going to be documented and evaluated.....

Signing off,

Tim.L

No comments:

Post a Comment