Sunday, March 21, 2010

Why We Do What We Do:Part I Bought By The Blood of The Lamb

This is a multi part series. It is advisable to read all to get the full picture of PCC culture and teaching.

Some of us here are asking the questions below:
  • Why do we slothe through hours of practice? Why spend extra hours?
  • Why do we get admonished for coming late or not turning up for sound check?
  • Why do we bother with memorizing the lyrics? Searching through Youtube to learn the songs?
  • Why have the songlist been given 1 week in advance?
  • Who cares if the chords are a bit wrong? So what if the singer is out of time? So the projectionist is a bit late in changing slides? So what?
  • Why should I commit fixed teams and weeks? Why can't I serve as and when I like with who I like?
The Why We DO What We Do series of article will adress the questions above and give us a sense of mission.

In the last Sound Engineering training conducted by me, the fees were donated to the PCC Creative Ministry fund. In other words, I gave away RM1,600. That's equiavalent to my dream handphone, the Nokia N97. Most people may not realize this but PCC members Pastor David & Bernard, Jim Abigo and Joseph Oleyemi has attended GSUS training in previous years. Incidentally, the collection was the same amount, which was collected by GSUS the company. So why am I trying to prove? That I am a benevolent guy? That I can afford to give away X ringgit?

Why, why tell me why? Anita Mui
Really, ask yourself this: Why am I in the music department? Why do I sing/dance/play an instrument? Why do I put in so much effort to practice and learn songs? STOP! Rewind and repeat the last line slowly, meditate on it, and tell yourself the answer outloud.

While you are thinking that through, I'll tell you what I don't believe in: There is no such thing as volunteers in the Kingdom of God! Really, I'm not kidding! Is there a volunteer position? There are apostles, pastors, evangelists, teachers, prophets, etc. There are servants of Christ, ambassador of Christ, those who GO for Christ and "Lord send me" types. Volunteers? Hmmm....

My guess your answer is this: I am serving God through my musical talents in the music department. And that is Why We Do What We Do.

Let me testify that I are serving God because Jesus died for me, saved me, turned my life around for the good of me and those around me. I am doing what any servant of the Lord would. And that is this: All true disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ have taken an oath, Jesus is the Lord and Master of our lives. As Paul puts it, "For me to live is Christ...". So since I am a talented in the area of music, and I serve God effectively in the music department. Would that be part of your answer too?


No, I am not a rich guy nor am I that benevolent a chap. I counted the cost and we need good quality sound personnel. What's the point of practicing so hard only to be compromised by bad sound? I am sure any of you would do the same if you were in my position.

And the conclusion is?
We do enjoy the music, singing, etc. We do enjoy our musical hobby. Boys and girls will look at us when we are on stage. We have a productive thing to do during saturday afternoons. BUT above and beyond the last 3 sentences, we serve God because we are indebted. We want to express our love and gratitude via our service to Him. That's Why We Do What We Do

No comments:

Post a Comment